When it comes time to hire a copywriter to develop your marketing messaging, there’s no shortage of options for you to choose from. Just Google the term “copywriter” or “freelance copywriter” and you’ll be able to choose from dozens, even hundreds, of potential candidates.
Obviously, not all copywriters bring the same skills to the table. How can you make sure you choose one who will write copy that sells and gets good response rates?
Look for a copywriter that possess these 5 skills.
- Asks the right questions—A copywriter’s first job is to get to know your business inside and out. This requires asking the right questions. A good website copywriter will start the project with a thorough interview/brand analysis where he or she will learn everything possible about your company (what you do, what makes you different, who your target audience is, etc.).
- Listens well—Every business has its own needs and objectives. The best copywriters take the time to listen to their clients so they can truly understand what it is they hope to accomplish with their new content.
- Understands the value of research—A lot of copywriters try to cut corners by avoiding the most important part of the writing process: research. Your copywriter should be willing to put in the time to learn about your industry, your competitors, the needs and wants of your target audience, and so on. The best copywriters are also constantly following the latest studies to find new techniques to improve response rates.
- Makes complex ideas simple—This might be the most important quality of them all. Boiling down complex ideas into their simplest form is essential for communicating clearly with your target audience. A good copywriter knows how to find the emotional appeal behind your products and services and can communicate it in a way that makes customers react positively.
- Delivers work when promised—A lot of freelancers (and agencies for that matter) are unreliable. They overpromise and under-deliver. Make sure your copywriter sets deadlines and delivers your content by those dates.
Before hiring any copywriter, make sure you take the time to thoroughly interview them. You can pick up the phone and give them a call or talk back and forth over email. Always ask to see samples of the copywriter’s work, and make sure you get everything in writing before you begin your project.
Have you ever hired a freelance copywriter before? What was your experience like? What were some of the things you looked for when considering which copywriter to choose?
Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
Eric Brantner is a freelance copywriter from Houston Texas. He provides a assortment of writing services, including brochures direct mail and web copywriting.
Eric Brantner Freelance Copywriting
100 W Texas Ave #924, Webster, TX 77598